Tuesday, January 31, 2017

I'm working on a new pattern

I know! Shock, right?! Yup. I haven't written a new pattern for a long time. Not that I haven't made up a few as I've crocheted scarves, blankets, etc., but I haven't written them down. So, get your hooks ready cuz I think you'll like this one. As soon as I have it PERFECTED, I'll be adding it here and on Ravelry.

Not much going on in the Matheson household lately. Just clean, clean, paint, clean, clean, paint. The Hubster has been a busy little beaver around here getting things in tip-top shape. I wish I could say it's all come together but it hasn't. It's a mess and I still hate it. Let's hope by the time we finish yet another remodel that we actually have a home we both like. Cross your fingers for us, k?

In the middle of all this I saw a back doctor and he said, "Hey, we can do a lot to relieve your pain if we go in and clean all the bits of bone out of the spinal canal where, from the MRI, it looks like it is causing a problem. Simple procedure. Tiny incision." So I say, "Let's do it" and we scheduled it for February 9th. Well, there was a cancellation and I am now one week out from having back surgery. When he got through the muscle, etc. he realized that he wasn't going to be very successful after all. I have a condition that grows bone. Since my original fusion eight years ago my body has grown extra bone around it and he had to chisel through it to get to the spinal cord area. He chiseled for a while and then decided he'd better stop as it might actually weaken the original fusion so he stitched me up and sent me to recovery. So the end result is that I got all of the pain from the surgery but none of the success I'd hoped for. You always know when you have back surgery that there is a chance it can either go south, help or leave you as you are. Unfortunately this one left me as I am. I thanked him for trying and he said that made him feel even worse that he couldn't do what he'd hoped to do -- relieve some of my pain. I see him again on the 7th to have my stitches out and follow-up with my pain doctor on the 9th. Such a bummer.


But you know, life goes on and all we can do it take it one day at a time. My poor sister, Jill, is loosing her hair from chemo and I'm terribly worried about her. Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers. I am so thankful that I'm not going through this but so sorry that she is. I'd gladly take it from her and suffer it through but that's not how things work. Or I would do that in a heartbeat. I really would. It kills me that she is going through this. I'm amazed by her strength and courage.

So . . . on a much brighter note . . . Valentine's Day is almost here! The Hubster and I will be celebrating our 47th wedding anniversary. That's pretty hard to believe since we are still just youngsters, right? LOL! He loves macaroons so I'm going to make him some of his favorites.

Macaroon Cookie Kisses

1/3 cup softened butter
1 package (3 oz.) cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 large egg yolk
1-1/2 teaspoons almond extract
2 teaspoons orange juice
1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
5 cups coconut, divided
Candied cherries or Hershey's Chocolate Kisses

In a large bowl cream the butter, cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolk, extract and juice. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to the cream mixture and mix well. Stir in 3 cups of coconut. Cover and chill. AT LEAST one hour. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 

Shape into 1-inch balls; roll in remaining coconut. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake for 10-12 minutes until lightly browned. Immediately place a cherry or chocolate kiss on top of each cookie. Cool 5 minutes; remove to a wire rack to cool completely. Makes about 4 dozen.

They are pretty darn yummy.


Very rich but I still dare you to eat just one. They are really pretty with the cherries on top but be sure and drain them on a stack of paper towels (and on top of a plate) until they are relatively dry. Otherwise they will still have liquid in them and "bleed" all over your cookies and then they aren't so very pretty. As soon as he eats these up we are going to dump all the sugar in the house and go sugar-free. Seriously. I'm not even going to have it in the house. Baking has become my therapy and all it's really done for either of us is give us extra pounds that we don't need. If there's not sugar in the house we won't even be tempted, right?

Big hugs to all. Be sure and watch for that pattern. I hope to have it up in the next couple of days. It's being tested right now.




No comments:

Post a Comment