Sunday, October 23, 2016

Time is Just Flying By!


Things have been kind of busy since Mom's passing. The only thing changing though is my weight. I think I've gained five pounds since mom died. I can't seem to get enough to eat. I'm not really hungry so it's got to be just stress. Better cut it out or I will gain back (quickly) all the weight I lost five years ago. I've done really good to maintain my weight and then gained five pounds while mom was living here and another five following her death. Not a good plan, is it? Just keep eating? Nah. I think I'll crochet instead!!!!!

I finished a shawl for my nursing home charity. The weather will soon cool off a bit here and they always like having a little something to put over their shoulders. I never really got mom to wear a shawl but I did have a shrug that she liked to put on in the mornings while out watching the sun come up.


I didn't use a pattern, just made it up with granny stitches. I used KnitPicks Heather in, I think, the color Picnic (or something like that). It was really nice to work with and I think it will be light enough yet heavy enough to do the trick. I love working with KnitPicks Kettle yarns. They are SO SO nice.

I've also made some hats for the Ravelry group helping out "Operation Gratitude." It's a group that sends hats and scarves to those in the military. I also promised some to Hats for the Homeless in Phoenix so I gotta get busy now and get some more done. Hats are SO easy to do. You can pounds those out in no time without a pattern. Scarves are the same way but I get really bored doing them for some reason.


I have a bunch more completed and when I get ready to send them off I'll take a few more pictures.

I'm working on a shrug using the Kettle dyed KnitPicks yarn in autum colors. I had to order another skein and hope that will be enough to finish it off.


I really love the pattern and I think it's working up super nice. Need a new outfit to go with it for sure.


I also completed a "neck shawl." The pattern was on Ravelry and basically what they did was take a shawl pattern and only make it to about the shoulders and then connect in the back with stitches. I had to take it in (A LOT) and wouldn't do as many stitches from one side to the other next time. It's kind of a cute idea though and you wear it in front instead of over your shoulders.


I think that about catches me up. OH! Wait! I did help a lady in Germany with a pattern translation. She had done a fantastic job translating it but needed a bit of help with some of the English crochet terms. This is what the pattern looks like and I think it's kinda funky. The stitch pattern is really really pretty and I hope to make it soon using  Red Heart LusterSheen. I have three balls gifted me and that should be more than enough to make this. It's called Happy Patternmix Wrap.

Well, ya'll have a fantastic week. I'll have more to show you next week of fun crochet projects (and hopefully less of me. It's diet time!!).


9 comments:

  1. My condolences on the passing of your Mum. It looks like you have found some great projects to help you through. I love the idea of the shrug and the neck scarf.
    The knitpicks yarn in Autumn colours is fantastic.
    I here you about the challenges of maintaining, especially during such a stressful time, but you've got this - I have no doubt. Crochet on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry about your mum.
    You have been very busy, I love the shrug, that will be fabulous on a chilly day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry about your mum.
    You have been very busy, I love the shrug, that will be fabulous on a chilly day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear about your mum. You have been very productive with your projects. The shawl is lovely. I like the colours of the hats they are so bright and cheery. The autumn colours are beautiful and will make a really pretty shrug xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry it's been a rough time for you. But look at how thoughtful and generous you are crafting for charities.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry to hear of your mom's passing. I'm glad you have so many pretty things you've been making and how helpful it must be to be creating things for others. The yarn you're crocheting the shrug with is just beautiful. Hugs to you, Bev.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think if I had been a knitter when my mom passed 15 years ago, I would have handled things a lot better. I was also in college so, that's a whole other ball of wax in the first place. I lost a bunch of weight because I just didn't want to eat...and then, when I finally caught back up to eating properly, I just gained a ton of weight. ::sigh:: Just couldn't win.

    It's a rough time :( Thank Bob for knitting and crocheting and spinning and whatever other crafty endeavor we wind up partaking in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Many hugs coming your way. Terrific job on your projects. Great charities.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry about your Mom. It's something we all go through at some time but it is one of the hardest. Be gentle with yourself and know that she is still there with you and watching over you.
    Your projects are all lovely and what a great giver you are to do so much for charity. Have a good week and don't be too hard on yourself. Keep up the handwork. I took it up when I quit smoking and I gained weight too! LOL!

    ReplyDelete