Friday, August 5, 2016

Just a chuckle . . . and a recipe or two


Perfect humor for this political season don't you think? I'm really beginning to wonder if we could find three wisemen or wisewomen there. UGH!

I had a couple of bananas that seemed to go dark REALLY fast. (I read online that if you wrap the ends in cellophane that they don't ripen as quickly -- that's bunk!) So, I thought about making banana bread but knew with the recipe that I use we would eat the whole dang thing BY ourselves IN about an hour. To save further butt expansion, I did some breakfast bars. They are good but not as sweet.

Banana Breakfast Bars

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 13x9" pan with non-stick cooking spray.

Cream:
1/3 c. peanut butter
1/3 c. brown sugar

Add:
2-1/2 Tbsp. butter
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 ripe banana
2/3 c. instant oats
1/3 c. flour
1/4 tsp. baking soda
2 Tbsp. wheat germ

Pour mixture into pan and bake for 20-25 minutes. I found these to be kind of dry so next time I think I would soak the oats in a bit of warm water first to soften them and add a bit more moisture.

We had a church get together last Monday and it was our turn to take a dessert. I made this Mexican Fruit Cake. I have no idea what makes it "Mexican" cuz there's NOTHING Mexican about it but let me just say it's about the best cake I've ever eaten. Try it -- you'll like it.

Mexican Fruit Cake

20 oz. can crushed pineapple
2 c. flour
2 c. sugar
2 tsp. baking soda
2 eggs beaten
1 c. chopped nuts (my favorite it pecans but my friend's is walnuts)

Mix well and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes in 9x13" pan spayed with non-stick spray.

Now, you can frost these if you want but I think they are perfect without it. If you do want to put a frosting on then DO use this one:

3 oz. package of cream cheese
1 c. powdered sugar
1/2 stick melted butter
1/2 tsp. vanilla

Frost the cake while still warm.



2 comments:

  1. Those both sound really yummy. I don't bake much in the summer, just heats up the house so fast but fall and winter I'm baking non-stop. I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No posting recipes . . they make me hungry and I jut ate a giant Everything Bagel!

    The cartoon is PERFECT. I think the humor people are coming up with i the only way to make it through this political season.

    ReplyDelete