Monday, December 28, 2015

Sunshine On My Shoulders Wrap Pattern

I made up this pattern a LONG time ago and when I tried out a pattern writing software I put this one in it. I'm not sure I like how it turned out at all. I'm thinking I need to rewrite it entirely. I gifted the shawl to my daughter-in-law as she had the cutest yellow and white sundress that just needed this pretty little thing. Unfortunately I saw her in the dress several times but never had the shawl along. Instead she had a white sweater that she wore. It really did hurt my feelings but I finally decided that I couldn't let it bother me. If it did then I shouldn't gift the things I make. I kind of learned that lesson when I cross-stitched a BEAUtiful pillow for my brother for Christmas one year. It took me nearly the whole year working on nothing else to get it finished. It was really complicated. I was so excited to give it to him. I just knew it would be perfect for his living room. Well, it was. When I went to visit the following summer it was in the cat's box and he had used it to sharpen his claws on. The threads were all pulled out and you couldn't even tell what it was. I swore then that nothing I EVER made was going into that house. I've kept my word. I'd rather someone return it to me than to either not use it or abuse it. In fact, I had a really pretty scarf that I made for a daughter-in-law and she actually returned it to me and said she really didn't have anything to wear it with. My daughter nearly snatched it right out of her hands with a "Boy, I do!" I was so glad she returned it rather than throw it away or let it languish somewhere. 

SUNSHINE ON MY SHOULDERS WRAP





Rectangle Shawl
Constructed Top Down

Designed by Bev Matheson
One Yarn After Another


Pattern Name: Sunshine on My Shoulders
Size: Standard Woman


YARN DESCRIPTION:
 Omega Perle Sol; 1002 Straw; acrylic; wash and dry

GAUGE DATA:
Gauge is not important for this pattern
Body crocheted using # G US hook

FINISHED DIMENSIONS: (ins)
        SHAWL WIDTHS            SHAWL LENGTHS
    Main Panel  20.9                     63.3
        Border   5.1
         Total  31.1                     73.5

PATTERN:

Row 1: Dc in 4th ch from hook (counts as first dc), dc in next 2 ch; ch 3, sk 3,* dc in next 3 dc, ch 3, sk 3 *. Repeat * to * ending with 3 dc. Ch 3 and turn.
Row 2: Sk 1, 5 dc in next st, sk 1, dc in middle of ch 3 of previous row, sk 1 dc, 5 dc in 2nd dc, sk 1 dc and dc in middle of ch 3 of previous row. You repeat this sequence to the end of the row ending with 5 dc in middle dc of previous row and 1 dc in last dc of previous row. Ch 3 and turn. (This is the first dc of the next row which is a repeat of Row 1 above.)
Row 3: is a basic repeat of Row 1 except that you skip the first dc of the cluster below and do 3 dc in the top of the cluster. You then continue by ch 3 and then do 3 more dc in the top of the cluster to the end.
Repeat Rows 2 and 3 to desired length.
MAIN PANEL:
1. Chain 105 sts on size G hook. Start work in double crochet.
2. Work even for 412 rows (63.3 ins).
3. Tie off.

BORDER PANEL: This pattern was originally designed without a border but one can be added if desired.
1. Using size G hook and starting at the lower left corner with right side of work facing, work 104 sts from the bottom, 316 sts from the left side, 104 sts from the top, and 316 sts from the right side. Total 840 sts.2. Work in chosen border pattern along each section for 33 rows, shaping at corners as follows:
... Inc 1 st (both ends of row) in the next row, then every 2 rows 8 times, then every row 16 times.
2A. Corners. Mark each corner stitch. This stitch will be worked plain on every row with the increase shaping on either side of it.
3. Tie off.

FINISHING:
1. Darn/weave/sew in all loose ends.
2. BLOCK. Really, it makes all the difference.

AMOUNT OF YARN REQUIRED TO MAKE GARMENT:
WARNING. THIS IS A ROUGH ESTIMATE ONLY. Measure a sample piece for a more accurate calculation.
Amount needed:
17.0 for main shawl panel
12.4 for borders
29.4 Ounces TOTAL

No comments:

Post a Comment