Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Reporting PROGRESS

I don't think anyone involved in the swap will see this so I'm going to post a picture of my swap shawl being blocked.



Tomorrow's post will be about the round blanket progress. I'm working on it today. I cannot start anything else until I get my languishing projects finished.

I can't believe 2015 is almost over. I've hardly gotten used to writing the year on things and now I'll have to work on writing and thinking 2016. I sure hope it's a better year than the last but I'm not going to hold my breath. I fear it will be full of anguish and hard work. Why? Because it seems that has been our lot the past five years or so. It's just one thing after another. But "This too shall pass" and so we just carry on. Got any hot plans? None here. Just hangout and go to bed early. We are just such exciting people to be around, aren't we?


Before I sign off, I'd like to share a recipe with you. I made chicken noodle soup yesterday and we were out of bread so I thought I'd toss some quick bread together -- biscuits or something. I found a recipe for Butter Biscuits and rather than making them as drop biscuits I put them in a pan like cornbread. I baked it for 45 minutes in my convection oven so if you are using a standard oven it might take a bit longer. They were REALLY good. Here's the recipe as I modified it:

4-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 c. butter or margarine (I used solid coconut oil)
1-1/8 cup milk
3 cups flour (I used 2 cups of white flour and 1 cup of oat bran)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sour cream

You can mix this with your mixer or by hand. The dough will be kind of soft -- not firm like baking powder biscuits or cornbread. Almost a thick pancake batter consistency. I poured it into an 8" stone baking dish and popped it in a 400 degree oven. It said 450 but I thought that was WAY too hot. If you are going to do drop biscuits they will be kind of flat and you would bake them for 10 to 2 minutes. Makes about 24 it says. (As runny as this batter is they would be really flat, I think.)

I sprinkled the top with Parmesan cheese for the last few minutes and they were a big hit with the soup. We'll have the last of the soup and bread for lunch today. I think soup is always better the next day, don't you?



No comments:

Post a Comment